Saturday, March 31, 2018

My best picture winners of the decade.

Previously I had said that the best picture of 2016 was Toni Erdmann. I still think it's a great film, but I've decided that the film that has stuck with me the most and that I think about a lot is Arrival. Whether it's the current political situation or the emotional pull of the story or perhaps it's Amy Adams all-time great performance, but the film has stuck with me and is the true best picture of 2016. I do owe a rewatch to Moonlight a film that I respect, but it didn't work for me as much as I thought it would. Coming-of-age films are my favorite genre so it's surprising to me that it didn't blow me away like it did everyone else. That being said it's one of the top-tier best picture Oscar winners. (I also loved La La Land, don't shoot me!) For now however these are my best picture winners since 2010.

ETA: I also decided that Frances Ha is the rightful winner of 2013...sorry Blue is the Warmest Color!!!

I'll do a little post about each film in the coming days.



Arrival (2016) - Directed by Denis Villeneuve
Black Swan (2010) - Directed by Darren Aronofsky
Brooklyn (2015) - Directed by John Crowley
Call Me By Your Name (2017) - Directed by Luca Guadagnino 
Frances Ha (2013) - Directed by Noah Baumbach
Mommy (2014) - Directed by Xavier Dolan
A Separation (2011) - Directed by Asghar Farhadi
Zero Dark Thirty (2012) - Directed by Kathryn Bigelow




No comments:

Post a Comment