Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Final Oscar Predictions


This Sunday marks the end of awards season as the 90th annual Academy Awards take place. A once-promising awards season has turned into one of the most boring in recent memory. The only real question marks seem to be in best picture and original screenplay. Even then on Sunday if Three Billboards wins those categories we'll just be saying we should have seen it all along.

That being said the Oscars almost never nominate as many movies that I love as they did this year. Call Me by Your Name, Lady Bird, Phantom Thread and Get Out are all in my top five of the year, (my third ranked film of the year, mother! is nominated for worst picture at the Razzies the night before!) so I'm still excited to see many of my favorites at the ceremony. I also really liked The Post, The Shape of Water, Dunkirk and (dare I say it?) Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, so it will be a mostly enjoyable evening for me. The only best picture nominee that I truly hated was Darkest Hour. What an absolute turd.

Also while I'm rooting for other actresses above them this year, Frances McDormand and Allison Janney are two of my favorites and I'm glad they'll both have more hardware to add to the trophy-case. We're also going to be able to say Academy Award Winners Roger Deakins and James Ivory, which is well over-due.

Anyway here are my final predictions for this Sunday's Academy Awards. They are mostly by the book because this year doesn't seem ripe for many upsets.

Original Screenplay is very interesting, because I don't see Get Out going home empty-handed. I think it finishes second for best picture, but I don't see Three Billboards only winning acting awards along with best picture. I'm predicting Three Billboards in picture, but if Get Out wins screenplay then I think it wins picture. I'm going to predict a split, but whatever wins original screenplay will win picture so I'm wrong already!

Best Picture

Will Win:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Should Win:

Call Me By Your Name


Best Director

Will Win:

Guillermo Del Toro, The Shape of Water

Should Win:

Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird

(But really...this is a GREAT category and all would be great winners.)


Best Actress in a Leading Role

Will Win:

Frances McDormand as Mildred Hayes in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Should Win:

Saoirse Ronan as Christine "Lady Bird" McPherson in Lady Bird 

(But really all would be great winners)

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Will Win:

Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill in Darkest Hour

Should Win:

Timothée Chalamet as Elio in Call Me by Your Name

Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Will Win:

Allison Janney as LaVona in I, Tonya

Should Win:

Laurie Metcalf as Marion McPherson in Lady Bird

Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Will Win:

Sam Rockwell as Dixon in Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Should Win:

Willem Dafoe as Bobby in The Florida Project

Best Original Screenplay

Will Win:


Jordan Peele for Get Out

Should Win:

Greta Gerwig for Lady Bird

Adapted Screenplay

Will Win:

James Ivory for Call Me By Your Name

Should Win:

James Ivory for Call Me By Your Name

Best Cinematography

Will Win:

Roger Deakins for Blade Runner 2049

Should Win:

Roger Deakins for Blade Runner 2049

Best Film Editing

Will Win:

Dunkirk

Should Win:

Baby Driver

Best Production Design

Will Win:

The Shape of Water

Should Win:

Blade Runner 2049

Original Song

Will Win:

"This is Me" from The Greatest Showman

Should Win:

"Mystery of Love" from Call Me by Your Name

Visual Effects

Will Win:

Blade Runner 2049

Should Win:

War for the Planet of the Apes

Costume Design

Will Win:

Phantom Thread

Should Win:

Phantom Thread

Original Score

Will Win:

The Shape of Water

Should Win:

Phantom Thread

Sound Editing 

Will Win:

Dunkirk

Sound Mixing

Will Win:

Dunkirk

Foreign Film

Will Win:

A Fantastic Woman

Animated Film

Will Win:

Coco

Documentary

Will Win:

Faces Places

Make-Up and Hairstyling

Will Win:

Darkest Hour


Enjoy the show! 


































No comments:

Post a Comment