Thursday, November 9, 2017

One Week until LADY BIRD

Next Friday marks the release of Lady Bird, the debut film for director/writer Greta Gerwig. This is essentially a major life event for me as Gerwig is one of my biggest inspirations in film. Plus throw in one of my favorite actresses in Laurie Metcalf and a gang of some of my favorite young actors like Lucas Hedges, Timmy Chalamet, John Karna and of course my 2015 Best Actress winner Saoirse Ronan. (Brooklyn)

Lady Bird was brought to life from parts of the Frances Ha script that were cut. Frances Ha is one of my top-10 films of the decade so far. If you haven't seen the film I really can't recommend it enough. Greta plays Frances, a dancer that can't quite catch her big break or really any break. Frances Ha is essentially a romantic-comedy except it isn't between two lovers, but best friends. There are not enough films about friendships, and Frances Ha is at the top of the list. Greta starred in the film, but also co-wrote it with Noah Baumbach who directed the picture.

Frances Ha was nominated for four of my personal awards for 2013. Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Supporting Actor and won my award for Best Original Screenplay. Lady Bird could be up for even more?

Trailer for Frances Ha:

Trailer for Lady Bird:

Also while we're at it, you should probably watch Mistress America as well. While not quite as masterful as Frances Ha, it's great. Greta won my Supporting Actress prize for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment